Friday, December 14, 2018

Lips of Babes - a poem.

"From the lips of babes You have created praise"
I read from the Psalms, and while I love the idea,
from my firsthand mothering view, I struggle to make it true.

If it said, from the bodies of babes, I'd get it
such chubby thighs and protruded bellies,
such wispy hair and homely smell,
light but heavy weight as I rock your groggy body.

Or, from the motives of babes, I'd agree
from innocent gifts of treasured rocks,
offers to hug your bunny when I'm sad,
to rubs of lotion on my arms after your bath.

But from the lips? How can it be?
You cry, you giggle, you scream, you jabber:
this is praise to our Lord?
Is it the first tongues of fire by Spirit
incomprehensible but we must trust it's true?

Or is it when you learn to pray before dinner
for the baby from church nursery saying "Pray God! For Baby. Amen!"
Or when you pick out the word "soul" in a song and question it,
but I know, deep down, that you already know
how to express yours.


Ellen H.

Through the praise of children and infants, you have established a stronghold against your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.
(Psalm 8:2)

[When] the children shouted in the temple courts, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant. “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked him.
“Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read, “‘From the lips of children and infants, you, Lord, have called forth your praise’?” (Matthew 21:16)

No comments: