Thursday, September 10, 2009

From my new home in Caceres!

I am writing from my host family's house in Caceres--here, safe and sound! I had no problems getting thru security anywhere, although i didn't have much time to spare during my layover in Philadelphia. I landed in Madrid at 8AM this morning (thurs), an only 6.5 hr airtime flight. the sunrise was beautiful over the clouds before we landed! I waitied with another girl at the planned waiting place in Madrid airport, and our group trickled in. One girl got lost in the airport so we thought she hadn't even landed, but we found her. Another girl lost her luggage--hopefully it gets sent to Caceres soon.

We met Toni, our director who reminds me of Maggie Falconi is several good ways, and her 22yr old helper Alfonso. We rode the bus 4 hours to Caceres, stopping to eat halfway, but no one was hungry, we all just wanted to sleep. We stepped off the bus and met our host mothers and went home with them. We reunite as a student group in a couple hours, so i'm writing this quickly. I live with the other ISU student Autumn in our apartment, we share a room. Isabel and Javier are the couple we live with, but there are others in their multiple flats: a tiny, super old abuelita (grandmother), a maid/houselady? Rosa, and a young person I haven't met yet.It's hot here, but it's beautiful, and I'm doing quite well in understanding my host parents. :-) ANd i've caught on already to the Two Kiss european greeting.
What else can I tell? I'm feeling okay, stuffy nose still but not totally overwhelmed and tired (yet) even though i didn't sleep a wink on the flight to Madrid :-( I did sleep on the bus to Caceres. I hope Dad's conference went well, and that you got back fine. I think you'll find i forgot my sunglasses...ah well. I am using Autumn's laptop, which works via wireless internet in our apartment.This weekend, we will tour the city with Toni, perhaps hear Alfonso play classical guitar :-D and spend time with our families. I think roomie and I will give our host gifts on Sunday, when we have more time to just chill out.
All the students seem pretty upbeat and willing to do things, but not like they'll get out of control with drinking, etc.I don't know if i'll get a phone card, or when, but Autumn has Skype, and the public library is just down the street.I'm stoked to be hear, and thank God everytime things go right. Which has been this entire trip....

1 comment:

John Kempf said...

Great to hear that you are doing this! Kim and I just got back from Bulgaria (Aug. 10-21) Joe is in the Peace Corps until Oct 2010.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Spain!